Friday, December 24, 2010

Steak with Mushroom Cream Sauce and Homemade Mac & Cheese

Ok, for those of you that don't know, I LOVE macaroni and cheese. I've always wanted to try to make it myself, and I decided that's what I would do for this month's cooking adventure. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. I didn't think I would like macaroni that didn't come out of a box, but I really liked the mac & cheese that I made. I used two different kinds of cheese, cheddar and monterey jack, which made it kind of tangy - an interesting taste for me when it comes to pasta. I think next time I'll try adding something to it, like bacon (Dad's suggestion), or maybe jalapenos (Troy's suggestion). For my first try though, I just wanted to make sure I could do it without messing it up and having it taste bad.
I also decided to try a mushroom cream sauce to go over the steaks that we had for dinner. That turned out to be the real star of the show - it was amazing! I love mushrooms on my steak, and I wanted to try making a cream sauce because I had a steak like that at Ruby Tuesday's and wanted to see if I could make something like it. My sauce turned out a little thicker than I expected, but the garlic and mushrooms in it made it taste fantastic. I really liked it, and so did everyone else (except Andy, but I knew she wouldn't because she doesn't really like cream-type sauces). My mom thinks we should try it over chicken next time, which also sounds delicious to me. My dad told me everything I made was "restaurant quality," which is the highest compliment he pays, so I was pretty proud of it.
All in all, it was a really good dinner, now to think of something equally amazing for next month! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment