Saturday, July 23, 2011

Chicken Fajita Burgers

Believe it or not, I have never tried anything with ground chicken in it. I'm not a big fan of ground beef, so I guess I figured I wouldn't like any sort of ground meat.  Well, it turns out that I really do like ground chicken (and ground turkey) a lot more than I like ground beef.  As you can probably guess, I don't like hamburgers, and so, by association, I have never tried a ground chicken burger.
I will admit, that was a BIG mistake.  I made chicken burgers today, and they were awesome!  I had come across a recipe for chicken burgers that are seasoned like fajitas, and since I love fajitas, I wanted to try them.  Basically, I seasoned the chicken with fajita-type spices - chili powder, cumin, a little bit of pepper - made it into patties and cooked them on a griddle.  I wanted to grill them, but the ground chicken patties weren't really firm enough and I was afraid they would just fall through the bars of the grill, so griddle it was.  I think I overcooked them - I'm paranoid about under cooked poultry, so I was determined to cook them until the meat thermometer read a safe temperature.  A mistake on my part, but the topping brought back a lot of the moisture.
Once the patties were cooked, I just put them on a bun and topped them with sauteed onions and red and green peppers, just like you would with fajitas.  I didn't even put anything like mayo or ketchup on mine - the peppers and onions made it moist enough that I didn't have to.  They were cooked to the point where they were mostly soft, but still a little crunchy, which is how I like them.
Overall, I would call this one a success, even though I overcooked the burgers.  I thought they were good, and I will definitely make these again.  Stay tuned for my next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment