Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stuffed French Toast

So Mother's Day this year gave me the opportunity to try making something I've always wanted to try: stuffed french toast!  We usually make my mom breakfast in bed, but she never lasts very long, she always gets up before the cooking is done.  So instead of getting up at a ridiculous hour to cook, and since both of my sisters are mothers as well, I invited everyone over for a Mother's Day brunch.  Of course the star was the french toast.  
It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, I just had to be really careful when I was slicing an opening into the bread.  I figured that it would be easier to make it with Texas style bread, and I was right about that.  I just cut an opening in the bottom of each slice of bread that reached to the middle.  Then I used a pastry bag to pipe in the 'stuffing' - it was a mixture of cream cheese and powdered sugar to sweeten it.  Then it's just like normal french toast - dip it in eggs and cook on a griddle until it's browned on both sides.
It turned out to be really good - the recipe called for the bread to be dipped in crushed corn flakes after being dipped in the eggs, but I forgot about that part until I was ready to cook, so mine didn't get the extra coating.  I thought it turned out delicious even though I left out an ingredient, but I can see how the corn flakes would give it an extra texture.  I'll have to remember to use them next time. :)  I call this one a definite success.  On to more cooking adventures!  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment